According to a recent survey by SheerID, 32% of students are interested in discounts of 10%, over 80% of students report that a discount needs to be at least 20% to get their attention.
“Many brands are willing to offers deals as deep as 50% in order to engage with this valuable demographic, as long as they can protect themselves from fraud by verifying student status,” says Jake Weatherly, CEO of SheerID.
According to Yahoo!s report, the real differentiation between these three offers is the customer experience. 42% of college students have abandoned their cart mid-purchase because an offer was too difficult to redeem. 72% of students report that they would take advantage of special offers more frequently if the redemption process was easier. “In a competitive market, the customer experience can be as important to consumers as the offer itself,” explains Weatherly. “The free Xbox offer is the perfect example. If you’re not already loyal to a certain brand, and you’re getting a free Xbox either way, why wouldn’t you purchase from the company with the simplest verification process?”
Here are some of the best deals from Yahoo!
20 Best 2012 Deals for College Students
- Amazon: Students are eligible for a free Amazon Prime membership which includes free 2-day shipping, instant streaming for movies and TV shows, and access to thousands of Kindle books.
- Apple: Receive a $100 iTunes gift card with a PC purchase, or a $50 gift card with a iPad purchase.
- Best Buy: Best Buy has a variety of student deals to choose from. Qualified students can choose from a free Xbox 360 with a laptop purchase of $699 or more, a free $50 gift card with an iPad purchase, or a free $25 gift card with Microsoft Windows 7 purchase.
- Campsaver:College students save 20% on any regularly priced item with the code student20.
- Columbia Sportswear:Save 15% on sportswear and apparel, and receive 4% cash back from StudentUniverse.
- Dell: Choose from a free Xbox 360 or a $200 gift card with the purchase of select PC’s from Dell University.
- DirecTV: Subscribe to DirecTV and receive $55 cash back from StudentUniverse.
- EF College Break: Save up to 20% on student tours to Europe and other travel destinations through StudentUniverse.
- Footlocker: Students receive 20% off athletic shoes and performance gear at Footlocker by registering with StudentUniverse.
- Getaroom: Get up to 40% off discounted hotel rooms and accommodations through StudentUniverse.
- HP: With the purchase of a PC valued at $699 or more, students are eligible for a free Xbox 360.
- J Crew: Students can get 15% off in store purchases with a student ID.
- Lenovo: Buy a computer or tablet from Lenovo through StudentUniverse and save up to 35%.
- Microsoft: When students buy a PC for $699 or more, they get an Xbox 360 for free.
- Netflix: Sign up for a new Netflix account and get $20 cash back from StudentUniverse.
- Reebok: College students save 25% on shoes, sportswear, and workout clothes at Reebok through StudentUniverse.
- Sony: Sony offers a free PlayStation to students who purchase select VAIO computers.
- Sprint: Buy one Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch for $99, and get a second one free. Sprint also offers monthly service discounts to eligible college students from select universities with a valid ID or .edu email address.
- Staples: Receive a $100 VISA prepaid card with select laptop purchases at Staples stores.
- UnderArmour: UnderArmour offers students free shipping and 5% cash back from StudentUniverse on their innovative high performance apparel.