Trying to stay up-to-date with the current fashions but don’t want to spend a fortune in doing so? Or are you constantly eating out at restaurants with friends and shocked by the amount spent on food? Are you even looking to travel home and can’t find the cheapest ways in doing so? Here are some helpful links to restaurants, stores and companies that offer student discounts to help you save some dough.
While some savvy student shoppers recognize shopping with a student ID can allow them to receive in-store discounts, many people are unaware of this little trick. Word-to-the-wise for college (and even high school students) is to bring your student ID with you when you shop. Remember to ALWAYS ask a sales associate if that store provides a student discount. Most stores do not publicly advertise their student discount, and the discount is often spread through word-of-mouth. By asking the sale associate, students can be confident that they will get the best discount possible.
• Academic Superstore: The Academic Superstore offers academic software discounts for students, teachers and schools.
• Amazon: If you join Amazon Student with a student email address you get Amazon Prime shipping for free for 6 months.
• JourneyEd: JourneyEd is another site that offers academic software at discounts for students. They have a wide selection of discounted electronics and computer software.
• Dell: Discounts at Dell will depend on each University’s affiliation.
• Apple Store: Apple Store student discounts vary. Be sure to check the current deal before making a purchase.
• ThinkEDU: student discounts on software, textbooks, dorm supplies, Apple products, collegiate apparel and more
• HP Academy Store: offers exclusive student discounts on laptops and desktop computers
• Ann Taylor LOFT: 15% off
• Ann Taylor: 20% off
• Banana Republic: 15% off
• Charlotte Russe: 10% off
• Club Monaco: 20% off regular-priced items
• Eddie Bauer – 15% off on regular priced merchandise in-store with valid student ID
• J. Crew: 15% off regular-priced items
• Kroger: 5% off at select locations
• The Limited: 15% off
• Ralph Lauren Rugby: 15% off
• Sam’s Club: Collegiate Annual Membership $40 plus FREE $15 Sam’s Club gift card
• Topshop: 10% off
• Urban Outfitters: 10% off (on select dates only)
• Artist & Craftsman Supply: 10% off
• Textile Discount Outlet: 10% off
• Genesis Art Supply: 20% off
• Waffle House: 10% off
• Subway: 10% off
• Qdoba: student burrito meals $5
• Papa John’s: various student discounts based on location
• Pizza Hut: 10%-20% off (depending on location)
• Dominos Pizza: various student discounts based on location
• Dairy Queen: 10% off
• Burger King: 10% off
• McDonalds: 10% off – ask your local restaurant if they participate
• Epic Burger: 10%-15% off (depending on location)
• Wing Stop: 10%-15% off (depending on location)
• Thai Bowl: 10% off
• Pita Heaven: 10% off
• Fontano’s Subs: Free Soda
• 2 Asian Brothers: 10% off
• Zeus Gyros: 10% off
• Potbelly Sandwich Works: 10% off
• Devil Dawgs: 10% off
• Standing Room Only: 10% off
• Flat Top Stir-Fry Grill: 10%-15% off
• Jim’s Original Hot Dog: 10% off and Free Soda
• I Dream of Falafel: 10% off
• Kingoberry Frozen Yogurt: 10% off
• Overflow Coffee Bar: 10% off
• Regal Theaters: Up to 25% off tickets for select shows and dates
• AMC Theatres: student discounted movie tickets every Thursday
• Broadway in Chicago: Ticket prices as low as $14.50 for select performances
• Lyric Opera of Chicago—Students with ID get $20 tickets, average ticket price $50.
• American Theater Company—Plays and musicals for students with ID get $10 rush tickets, average ticket price $45.
• Chicago Cubs: Student Discounts starting as low as $10 in the Bud Light Bleachers for select games!
• Chicago Black Hawks: 90 minutes prior to select home games, student tickets will go on sale at United Center ticket windows 6 & 7 outside of Gate 4. $25 for any remaining seat, limit one (1) ticket per student ID, get to the United Center early for the best locations, students may begin lining up at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Text STUDENT to BHAWKS (242957) to receive Student Club text alerts, including the next Student Club game.
• Chicago White Sox: Teacher Appreciation Games on these special game dates they offer discounted tickets for all teachers, faculty, students, and their families. Tickets will be discounted up to half-price.
• The Art Institute of Chicago: $50 annual student membership, plus other various discounts within the Art Institute or student admission: $12
• Museum of Contemporary Art: $6 Student admission and FREE on Tuesdays
• Field Museum: $12 Basic student admission
• John G. Shedd Aquarium: Day pass: $24.95; there is a discount for residents of Chicago but not for students.
• Adler Planetarium: Chicago residents receive a $2 discount on Adult and Senior admission and Adler After Dark Admission $9-$12 for students. Illinois residents can enjoy complimentary general admission on Adler Discount Days too.
• Amtrak: Buy one full-fare ticket, get one 50% off
• The GM: Discounts for college students on Chevrolet, Buick or GMC cars
• STA Travel: STA Travel offers student discounts for study abroad and spring break trips.
• Auto insurance. Some auto insurance companies will provide a 20 percent discount on policies that include single students younger than 25, says Bankrate.com. Some require students to maintain a “B” average.
• Elana Nails: 15% off student discount
- Savings 101 for Students (katherineiorio.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Forget Your Student Discount! (mymoneypurdue.wordpress.com)